Saturday, October 1, 2011

Warning for Men! - Travel Laundry

Ok compadres, this is going to be

So I read in Mr. Tilley's travel suggestions that you can travel around the world with just two pairs of underwear and two pairs of socks. The trick is to wash a pair of each nightly and cycle them throughout the trip. Good advice! He goes on to suggest that to assure they are dry in the morning when you need them, you go through the usual process of washing them THEN YOU WRING THEM OUT IN A TOWEL! Brilliant If you give them a good wringing, they are practically dry when you finish. Hang them up for the evening and they are ready to wear the next morning. So, being the eager-to-please kind of husband that I am (stop laughing - I can hear you!), I took all the dirty laundry in the catch bag, two envelopes of Woolite and dutifully filled the sink up with near scalding water and proceeded to do the laundry. So, my first mistake was that I ignored good advice and sorted things by size rather than colour. If it fit in the sink with the rest of the stuff, well close enough for me. The second mistake was that I let things soak for about 10 minutes before vigorously kneading the garments into some form of near-surgical condition. The third mistake was panic. When I saw my wife's (formerly white) greyish blue bra I felt the sudden need to rinse in cold water in an attempt to restore the original white colour. Next step, take Mr. Tilly's advice to wrap the item in a towel and wind and wind and wind until you get all the moisture (and I hoped, the new colour) out. Well, let me tell you that no device or modern garment known to mankind has as much elastic, lycra, underwire and stretchable lace as a woman's bra. You wind that puppy up to about 6 turns and you have a lethal weapon! Could take your eye out! Luckily, nothing too serious happened to me, but I may have to wear my sunglasses for a couple of days. Geez,



- Channeling UTM

2 comments:

  1. I was laughing as I read the comment out loud to Ryan...
    How much water was on the floor/in the room by this point Dad!
    xo

    ReplyDelete